In 2017, Ransomware variants like WannaCry, NotPetya and Bad Rabbit wreaked havoc on businesses. And now in 2018, ransomware-like tactics called CryptoJacking is up by 629% already this year, and is expected for continued growth.
The reason behind the immense popularity of crypto jacking is that these hacks don’t require significant technical skills, and provides quick payout. In essence…… more money for less risk.
So there are two primary avenues that hackers use to get into your computer:
- They trick you with phishing like tactics like a legitimate looking emails that encourages you to click on a malicious link, thus secretly mine cryptocurrency onto your computer
- They inject a script on a website or an ad that is then sent to various websites. Once you visit that site, or an ad pop up- the script executes and infects your computer.
As Ransomware gets smarter, you too need to be smarter about cyber security solutions for your business. Cybercrime is at an all-time high and businesses need to upgrade security features and take extra measures to safe guard their assets.
Evolving technology allows us to work from anywhere, which is great, but hackers are finding ways to obtain access to systems wherever you are working.
So, how do you minimize your risk of falling prey to these attacks? Here are a few tips:
Tips to Protect Your Company from Ransomware
- Upgrade your network firewall.
- Install Malware protection for your workstations.
- Install an ad-blocking or anti-cryptomining extension on web browsers.
- Keep web filtering tools up to date.
- Implement a Unified Threat Management Solutions (UTM).
- Incorporate Security Awareness Training for all employees.
- Call a professional to ask what should be done to enhance your security.
These tips should be implemented in any size organization, whether large or small. Cyber criminals do not care if you 2 employees or 2,000 employees. They see an opportunity to gain monetary value from unsecured organizations.